Friday, July 13, 2007

A Pig is Born

My Simply Silly pigs were born right around the same time my son was. The idea came to me when I was pregnant with my son. I had a big kettle gourd hanging around that I hadn't done anything with for probably two years (we gourders are famous for buying a gourd that we like then letting it sit until it tells us what it wants to be.)

So one day in my mommy hysteria of preparation and making sure this wee child had everything he or she could ever possibly want &/or need, I saw that gourd and thought "a piggy bank!" And so the piggy bank bug got me. This is "Jeb," Brighton's piggy bank. He now has a cork in his nose (which took me another month to find one big enough) but still has no ears (which some days I'm sure he's thankful for amid the barking dog and the screaming child). He is the first, biggest pig of the first litter, and his belly is filling up fast with coins and bills, though it has a long time before he's filled up.

At any rate, a pig was born that day and I'm really glad! I was blessed to see the joy these pigs brought to people's faces when they'd see them and immediately smile. Time after time, people would point and say "look at those pigs!" with a smile on their face and I swear a twinkle in their eye. The patrons immediately called them each by their name, which tells me of the connection they felt to the piggies, and that makes me smile :)

No comments: